About Grand Traverse Metro Emergency Services Authority:
Grand Traverse Metro Emergency Service Authority (GTMESA), also known as Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department, provides fire and life safety services to citizens of and visitors to Acme Township, East Bay Charter Township, and the Charter Township of Garfield. GTMESA considers all emergency risks our citizens may face, and has been in operation since 1980. GTMESA has five (5) strategically located stations spread across 110 square miles of land.
Our Mission is to serve our community by safeguarding life and property from fire, hazards & medical emergencies through education, intervention, and quality response.
To learn more about this organization, please visit: https://gtmetrofire.org/
To learn more about why this region is an incredible place to live, work and play, please visit
About the Opportunity:
Performing under the general direction of the Metro Board, the position of Fire Chief involves the responsibility for the administration and coordination of all Grand Traverse Metro Emergency Services Authority (GTMESA) activities. The position of Chief will require advanced administrative, financial, communications, political, legal, managerial, analytical, and information management.
Work includes response to incidents and attendance of relevant meetings. This is a salaried position, subject to call-back at any time with no overtime.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- The Chief directly, or through subordinates, supervises all employees of GTMESA and ensures the mission, vision, and values of GTMESA are upheld.
- Preparation of the annual budget; including recommendations for capital improvements.
- Is responsible for long-range strategic planning given community requirements, current GTMESA status, and resources, so that the future needs of the community are met.
- Ensures training plans and programs for GTMESA are maintained.
- Exercises purchasing and budgetary controls.
- Reviews and gives departmental approval to specifications for new apparatus and equipment.
- Monitors the preparation and analysis of department records and reports to ensure efficient operations and meet service demands.
- Authorizes contracts between GTMESA and vendors and negotiates, as needed.
- Directs and navigates the collective bargaining process while maintaining a positive working relationship as well as protecting the needs of GTMESA.
- Comply with authorized requests for information regarding department activities and personnel.
- Attends national, regional, state, and local conferences, conventions, and other educational meetings to keep abreast of modern emergency service methods and administration.
- Creates and sustains relationships with local, state, federal organizations, and other partners to improve firefighting/rescue methods and techniques.
- Maintains awareness of local, state, and national legislative issues as it pertains to emergency services, including contacts with elected officials.
- Participates in planning and organizing a strong district wide fire prevention and public educational programs.
- Addresses civic clubs and other groups regarding the activities and programs of the GTMESA to explain and promote public understanding of its operations.
- Maintains memberships and relationships with civic clubs and other groups to project a positive image of emergency services to the community.
- Ensure compliance with effective human resource principles, policies, and guidelines.
- Oversees and ensures fiscal responsibility for personnel, wages, benefits, and other financial obligations pertaining to human resources.
- Ensure a comprehensive risk management program is effectively administered and maintained.
- Takes command of the activities at major fires/incidents, if necessary.
We seek a strategic thinker, servant leader, direct and open communicator and team builder who can work effectively with the Board and talented staff to lead and guide GTMESA. The successful candidate will effectively collaborate with all stakeholders, and is excited about the opportunity to help a quickly growing region have an organization that is highly effective and efficient.
The Fire Chief will have a role in helping to address key issues that are facing the department, including:
- Capital planning: Maintenance needs of current equipment and buildings and consideration of new projects, vehicles and equipment.
- Budgeting: Engaging with the townships, and proactively planning for the funding and service needs of the growing townships (Acme, East Bay, Garfield).
- Developing a long term strategic plan that aligns the Board, staff and residents and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the fire department for community safety.
- Team building: GTMESA is facing a number of upcoming retirements. The new Fire Chief will need to attract and retain retain top talent, inspire the team, embrace diversity within the team, manage performance, and be widely viewed as a strong leader who engages and supports others.
- Michigan Firefighters Training Council Certifications:
- Michigan Firefighters Training Council Certifications: Level I & II Firefighter; Hazardous Materials - Operations; Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (EVOC); Fire Officer III; Incident Command System 100, 200, 300,400, 700, 800; and Instructor I.
- Tactical experience in a combination department.
- Experience as a command officer.
- Shall meet the minimum physical and mental requirements as denoted in NFPA 1582 as determined by the fire department physician.
- Possess a Basic Emergency Medical Technician License issued by the State of Michigan.
- Possess an unrestricted Michigan Driver’s License.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with and be able to initiate and manage an incident according to the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
Applications are requested by November 26th. Candidates seeking confidentiality under Michigan law should clearly state their intentions.
Submit applications to: https://amycelltalent.applytojob.com/apply/AV3r5HzogR/Fire-Chief?source=MPFFU
If you need an e-mail address for applicants you can use firstname.lastname@example.org